Gallerie degli Uffizi, Gabinetto dei Disegni e delle Stampe
The Gabinetto dei disegni e delle stampe is located on the first floor of the Galleria delle Statue e delle Pitture, in the space which once housed the sixteenth-century Medici Theatre, built by Bernardo Buontalenti (1531-1608). With over 177,000 drawings and prints, dated between the late fourteenth and the twentieth-first century, it is one of the most important graphic collections in the world. Between 1952 and 1960, a series of important maintenance works was entrusted to the Florentine rationalist architect Edoardo Detti (1913-1984). More recently, a new study room with over thirty workstations has been installed. The collection was started around the mid-seventeenth century by Cardinal Leopoldo de’ Medici (1617-1675). Predominant are the works from Renaissance and seventeenth-century Tuscany and Florence. The collection of architectural drawings is also noteworthy. The Gabinetto dei disegni e delle stampe periodically curates exhibitions and restores its works in a specialised laboratory. The library owns circa 20,000 volumes on the graphic arts.