Biblioteca Marucelliana, Disegni e Stampe
The collection of drawings and prints became part of the library in 1783, about thirty years after its opening to the public in 1752. It was the canon and librarian Angelo Maria Bandini, who convinced the last descendant of the Marucelli family, Francesco di Ruberto, to establish the legacy that allowed the books collections of the library to be accompanied by a precious heritage of prints and drawings. The graphic heritage consisted of a thousand works. The oldest part of the collection reached the library in its original arrangement: the drawings and prints were indeed collected in volumes, for a total of nine. Only around 1960, for conservation reasons, it was considered appropriate for the drawings to be detached from the volumes and to be placed in passepartout inside metal drawers, where they are still preserved today. Among the best represented artists are the Roman Ottavio Leoni, with a volume of twenty-seven portraits, and the Florentine Cecco Bravo, with the 40 drawings collected in Volume G. However, Francesco di Ruberto also managed to buy some fifteenth-century sheets such as the Angel of Lorenzo di Credi and the Archangel Raphael with Tobiolo attributed to Raffaellino del Garbo. The most precious work of the collection is a sheet by Raphael. A study of a Christ on the Cross, previously erroneously attributed to Luca Penni as a copy (due to the presence of the initials "L.P." which were found on the back). In addition to the series of various sheets by Bernardino Poccetti, depicting both decorative and figurative elements, the collection is known for the consistent group of 17th century drawings, with artists such as Andrea Boscoli, the Passignano, the Empoli, Giovanni Bilivert, Piero Salvestrini, Jacopo Confortini, and Lorenzo Lippi. Of particular importance are the sheets by Stefano Della Bella and those by Giovanni Antonio Dosio, which show images of sarcophagi and cippi, recalling the eighteenth-century taste for antiquity. Important increases also took place following the donation of Francesco di Ruberto Marucelli, confirming the library's vocation to house the second most important Florentine collection of drawings after that of the Gallerie degli Uffizi. An event of great importance was the commission of the inventory of the collection assigned to Pasquale Nerino Ferri in 1887, previously the curator of the drawings and prints of the Gallerie degli Uffizi.
+39 055 2722222